Questions for All Agencies
1. How efficiently and effectively does the agency and its advisory committees operate?
2. How successful has the agency been in achieving its mission, goals, and objectives?
3. Does the agency perform any duties that are not statutorily authorized? If so, what is the authority for those activities and are they necessary?
4. What authority does the agency have related to fees, inspections, enforcement, and penalties?
5. In what ways could the agency’s functions/operations be less burdensome or restrictive and still adequately protect and serve the public?
6. How much do the agency’s programs and jurisdiction duplicate those of other agencies and how well does the agency coordinate with those agencies?
7. Does the agency promptly and effectively address complaints?
8. To what extent does the agency encourage and use public participation when making rules and decisions?
9. How has the agency complied with state and federal requirements regarding equal employment opportunity, the rights and privacy of individuals, and purchasing guidelines for historically underutilized businesses?
10. How effectively does the agency enforce rules on potential conflicts of interest of its employees?
11. How effectively and efficiently does the agency comply with the Public Information Act and the Open Meetings Act?
12. Would abolishing the agency cause federal government intervention or loss of federal funds?
13. Do the agency’s statutory reporting requirements effectively fulfill a useful purpose?
Questions for Occupational Licensing Agencies
1. Does the agency’s occupational licensing program serve a meaningful public interest and provide the least restrictive form of regulation needed to protect the public interest?
2. Could the program’s regulatory objective be achieved through market forces, private certification and accreditation programs, or enforcement of other law?
3. Are the skill and training requirements for a license consistent with a public interest, or do they impede applicants, particularly those with moderate or low incomes, from entering the occupation?
4. What is the impact of the regulation on competition, consumer choice, and the cost of services?