This agency is currently inactive. An agency can be labeled inactive if it has been abolished, had a title change, was merged into a different agency or split into different agencies. See Agency History on the right for further information.
- Next Review Date: none
- Last Review Date: 1994-1995 Review Cycle - 74th Legislative Session
Sunset Review Documents for 1994-1995 Review Cycle, 74th Legislative Session
- Staff Report (Jul 1994)
- House Bill 1090 (May 1995)
Final Results from Last Sunset Report
House Bill 1090 contained the Sunset Commission's original recommendations for the Fund with a number of provisions added by the Legislature. The Fund was continued for a twelve-year period with changes. The major provisions of the final bill are discussed below.
- Increase the oversight of the Fund to ensure the state's interests are fully protected.
- Allow the Fund to require an applicant to the insurer of last resort program to insure commonly owned or controlled businesses if the Fund suspects fraud or conditions that may lead to fraud.
- Authorize the Commissioner of Insurance to overturn a decision of the Fund's Board of Directors relating to policy cancelation.
- Clarify that the Fund is not required to designate agents to sell policies.
- Clarify that any information submitted by an insurance agent to the Fund is the agent's work product and cannot be provided to another agent except as required by the Open Records law nor can the material be used for marketing or direct sales activities.
- Authorize the Texas Workers' Compensation Commission (TWCC) to charge for inspections required of Fund policyholders.