This agency is currently inactive. An agency can be labeled inactive if it has been abolished, had a title change, was merged into a different agency or split into different agencies. See Agency History on the right for further information.
- Next Review Date: none
- Last Review Date: 2008-2009 Review Cycle - 81st Legislative Session
Sunset Review Documents for 2008-2009 Review Cycle, 81st Legislative Session
- Summary of Results (Jul 2009)
- Final Report (Jul 2009)
- Report to the 81st Legislature Ageny Section (Feb 2009)
- Self-Evaluation Report (Aug 2007)
- House Bill 3389 (Jun 2009)
Final Results from Last Sunset Report
House Bill 3389 continued the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) and contained all of the Sunset Commission’s recommendations. The bill also included several other statutory modiﬁcations. The list below summarizes the major provisions of House Bill 3389.
- Requires the Commission to develop and implement electronic submission methods for information the Commission requires from law enforcement agencies.
- Clarifies that TCLEOSE is not a party to F-5 disputes.
- Conforms key elements of the Commission’s licensing and enforcement functions to commonly applied licensing practices.
- Removes ex officio members from the Commission’s composition.
- Continues the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education for 12 years.
- Requires annual ﬁrearms proﬁciency for peace officers in law enforcement agencies with one or more peace officers.
- Establishes the venue for the prosecution of criminal violations of Occupations Code, Chapter 1701.
- Removes the statutory provision that transfers money from the TCLEOSE dedicated account to general revenue at the end of each ﬁscal year.
- Requires law enforcement agencies to report additional information to the Comptroller regarding the use of Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (LEOSE) training funds.
- Establishes standards for the creation of a new law enforcement agency.
- Requires law enforcement agencies to submit annual racial proﬁling reports to TCLEOSE.
- Changes continuing education requirements and intermediate proﬁciency requirements for peace officers.
- Requires peace officers to take de-escalation and crisis intervention training.