Lauren Ames, Project Manager
Next Review Date: 2032-2033 Review Cycle - 93rd Legislative Session
Last Review Cycle: 2020-2021 Review Cycle - 87th Legislative Session
Sunset Documents for 2020-2021 Review Cycle, 87th Legislative Session
Senate Bill 709 (May 2021)
Final Results of Last Sunset Review
- Continue the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) for 12 years.
- Ensure only the agency, not its statute, is subject to abolishment.
Licensing and Enforcement
- Authorize TCFP to provide biennial renewal for certifications.
- Authorize TCFP to enter into reciprocity agreements with other state fire personnel certification agencies.
- Direct the commission to review rules covering how criminal convictions relate to eligibility for certification. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Direct TCFP to create a standard complaint form and publish it in a prominent location on the agency’s website. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Update the standard across-the-board requirement related to board member training.
- Direct TCFP to evaluate the continued usefulness and effectiveness of its advisory committees. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Specify advisory committee members serve six-year staggered terms and may not serve more than two consecutive terms, rather than prohibit any consecutive terms.
- Abolish TCFP’s general reporting requirement on the commission’s activities.
- Update TCFP’s statute to reflect the requirements of the person-first respectful language initiative.
- Direct TCFP to adopt a policy to ensure each rule undergoes meaningful review pursuant to state law. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Direct TCFP to maintain documentation on complaints. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Update the standard across-the-board requirement related to developing and maintaining a complaints system and making information on complaint procedures available to the public. Specify TCFP may not inform parties of the status of complaints if doing so would jeopardize an ongoing investigation.