Next Review Date: 2028-2029 Review Cycle - 91st Legislative Session
Last Review Cycle: 2012-2013 Review Cycle - 83rd Legislative Session
Final Results of Last Sunset Review
The following material summarizes results of the 2012-2013 Sunset review of the Commission, including statutory changes made through Senate Bill 202 (83R) and management actions directed to the Commission that did not require statutory changes. For additional information see the Texas Commission on the Arts Sunset Final Report with Legislative Action.
- Continues the Texas Commission on the Arts for 12 years.
- Reduces the size of the Commission from 17 to nine members.
- Requires commission members to represent a diverse cross-section of the arts rather than all fields the arts.
- Phases in the reduction so that no current members’ terms are cut short.
- Requires two of the three appointments made to the Commission in 2015 for six-year terms to be from counties with a population of less than 50,000.
- Clarifies that the Commission operating with fewer than two rural members while the board reduction is being implemented is not a violation of law.
- Clarifies the Commission may award grants to support its mission to advance the state economically and culturally by investing in the arts.
- The Commission should amend its grant guidelines to incorporate reporting requirements for subgrantors and to better link on-site monitoring visits to risk. (management action – nonstatutory)
- The Commission should develop and track additional performance measures to evaluate the impact of its grants. (management action – nonstatutory)