- Next Review Date: 2024-2025 Review Cycle - 89th Legislative Session
- Last Review Date: 2018-2019 Review Cycle - 86th Legislative Session
Sunset Review Documents for 2018-2019 Review Cycle, 86th Legislative Session
- House Bill 1311 (Jun 2019)
Final Results from Last Sunset Report
- Continue the Texas Board of Professional Geoscientists and the Texas Geoscience Practice Act for six years.
- Apply the Sunset across-the-board recommendations related to presiding officer designation, complaint information, alternative dispute resolution, and board member training, including training on anticompetitive board behavior.
- Increase the board’s maximum administrative penalty amount from $100 to $1,500 per day for each violation.
- Clarify the board’s existing authority regarding persons hired or contracted by the board to provide technical assistance to the board in investigations and disciplinary proceedings by granting immunity from civil liability when acting in this capacity.
- Direct the board to cease routinely opening unlicensed public practice complaints against expired licensees who failed to timely renew. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Direct the board to further develop policies guiding the administrative dismissal of complaints by staff, specifically to provide staff clear direction to handle continuing education complaints unless aggravating circumstances require board involvement. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Direct the board to publish its penalty matrix on its website. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Eliminate the statutory notarization requirement for individuals applying for the professional geoscientist license.
- Eliminate the statutory letter of reference requirement for individuals applying for a professional geoscientist license, and remove the statutory requirement for the board to evaluate an applicant’s good moral and ethical character through reference letters.
- Direct the board to eliminate the letter of reference requirement for individuals applying to register as a geoscientist-in-training required by board rule. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Direct the board to discontinue geoscience firm registration. (Management action – nonstatutory)