Next Review Date: 2032-2033 Review Cycle - 93rd Legislative Session
Last Review Cycle: 2012-2013 Review Cycle - 83rd Legislative Session
Final Results of Last Sunset Review
The following material summarizes results of the 2012–2013 Sunset review of the Board, including statutory changes made through House Bill 1717 (83R) and a management action directed to the Board that did not require statutory changes. For additional information see the Texas Board of Architectural Examiners Sunset Final Report with Legislative Action.
- Continues the Texas Board of Architectural Examiners for 12 years.
- Eliminates the grandfather provision for registered interior designers who have not passed the registration examination by requiring them to do so by September 1, 2017 to continue to renew their registration. Specifies that the registration examination is the examination adopted by the Board and in effect on January 1, 2014.
- Directs the Board to measure the effects its customer service and outreach efforts have on licensing and enforcement. (management action – nonstatutory)
Registration and Enforcement
- Clarifies that the Board must assess the $200 professional fee at initial registration and renewal for all three regulated professions.
- Requires the Board to conduct fingerprint-based criminal background checks of applicants and licensees with active licenses.
- Clarifies a requirement for the Board to use only its own renewal fee when calculating penalties for late renewal.
- Authorizes the Board to apply administrative penalties per violation per day.