Next Review Date: 2028-2029 Review Cycle - 91st Legislative Session
Last Review Cycle: 2016-2017 Review Cycle - 85th Legislative Session
Sunset Documents for 2016-2017 Review Cycle, 85th Legislative Session
House Bill 2180 (Jun 2017)
Final Results of Last Sunset Review
- Institute new leadership at SRBA by requiring the terms of all SRBA board members to expire on September 1, 2017.
- Direct the SRBA board to hire an executive director. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Require SRBA to seek advice from affected county judges on potential water development projects.
- Direct SRBA to seek local financial investment in its water development projects. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Direct SRBA to seek bids for the next phase of its feasibility study. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Direct SRBA to implement best practices to improve transparency and openness in its operations. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Repeal SRBA’s unused authority to provide hydroelectric power, parks and recreation facilities, solid waste service, and forestation services.
- Extend SRBA’s Sunset review date to 2029. River authorities are subject to review, but not abolishment under the Sunset Act.
Standard Review Elements Applied to All River Authorities
- Transparency. Require opportunities for public testimony at board meetings and direct river authorities to implement additional best practices to improve openness and transparency.
- Good Government Standards. Apply good government standards to river authorities’ governing laws to promote accountability, clarity, and best practices.
- Compliance with TCEQ Rules. Direct SRBA and UCRA to comply with TCEQ rules by adopting required administrative policies.