Next Review Date: 2034-2035 Review Cycle - 94th Legislative Session
Last Review Cycle: 2022-2023 Review Cycle - 88th Legislative Session
Final Results of Last Sunset Review
- Amend the San Jacinto River Authority’s Sunset review date to 2035.
- Statutorily require the San Jacinto River Authority (SJRA) to adopt a public engagement policy that guides and encourages public involvement on key decisions.
- Apply standard across-the-board requirements regarding appointing a presiding officer, board member training, board member removal, separation of board and staff duties, public testimony, and complaints to the authority.
- Amend SJRA’s board member terms to four years to comply with constitutional requirements.
- Direct the Texas Legislative Council to update SJRA’s governing law. (Management action — nonstatutory)
River Authority Uniformity
- Direct Sunset staff to study administrative operations and structure across all Texas river authorities during the 2024-25 review cycle and make recommendations to the 89th Legislature regarding options to create uniformity across all river authorities that ensure each authority effectively represents its geographic river basin while also maintaining efficient administrative operations. This study would be based on past Sunset river authority reviews and is not expected to involve Sunset having to request new documents from river authorities. (Management action — nonstatutory)