Next Review Date: 2030-2031 Review Cycle - 92nd Legislative Session
Last Review Cycle: 2018-2019 Review Cycle - 86th Legislative Session
Sunset Documents for 2018-2019 Review Cycle, 86th Legislative Session
Senate Bill 627 (Jun 2019)
Final Results of Last Sunset Review
- Specify RRA is subject to Sunset review, but not abolishment, again in 2031.
- Require RRA to develop and maintain a comprehensive asset management plan.
- Require the RRA board to adopt a policy to ensure meaningful public input on significant rate changes.
- Require RRA to inform customers of their right to appeal rate changes.
- Require the State Auditor’s Office to conduct an audit of the Red River Authority no later than December 1, 2022 to evaluate whether RRA has addressed the operational challenges identified by Sunset.
- Direct RRA to provide written semi-annual reports to the Sunset Commission regarding the implementation of the recommendations adopted by the commission, beginning January 31, 2019. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Direct RRA to document and regularly update its key duties and procedures, and take action to prepare for future retirements and workforce changes. (Management action – nonstatutory)
Standard Review Elements Applied to All River Authorities
- Direct river authorities to implement additional transparency best practices related to their websites, record retention, and financial information. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Make changes to GBRA, RRA, and NRA’s governing laws to facilitate future codification of those laws, such as grammatical fixes and updating outdated references.
- Apply good government standards to river authorities’ governing laws to promote accountability, transparency, and best practices relating to board practices, public testimony, complaint information, and alternative dispute resolution.
- Direct RRA and NRA to develop a policy to ensure all professional services contracts are reviewed every five years, and to frequently compile vendor lists and best value practices for cost savings. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Direct RRA to comply with Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) rules by adopting policies related to contracting, nepotism, and granting money or property. (Management action – nonstatutory)
- Direct GBRA and RRA to adopt a formal, written five-year strategic plan and post this plan publicly online. (Management action – nonstatutory)