This agency is currently inactive. An agency can be labeled inactive if it has been abolished, had a title change, was merged into a different agency or split into different agencies. See Agency History on the right for further information.
- Next Review Date: none
- Last Review Date: 2008-2009 Review Cycle - 81st Legislative Session
Sunset Review Documents for 2008-2009 Review Cycle, 81st Legislative Session
- Summary of Results (Jul 2009)
- Final Report (Jul 2009)
- Report to the 81st Legislature Agency Section (Feb 2009)
- Self-Evaluation Report (Aug 2007)
- House Bill 2447 (Jun 2009)
Final Results from Last Sunset Report
The Legislature adopted all of the Sunset Commission’s recommendations. House Bill 2447 abolished the Board of Tax Professional Examiners and transferred its functions to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). The Legislature also added several provisions to the bill to strengthen tax professional regulation and conform it with TDLR’s existing regulatory structure. The list below summarizes the major provisions of House Bill 2447.
- Abolishes the Board of Tax Professional Examiners and transfers its functions to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.
- Conforms key elements of the Property Taxation Professional Certiﬁcation Act’s licensing and enforcement functions to commonly applied licensing practices.
- Strengthens education and examination requirements for tax professionals and conforms them with TDLR’s other regulatory programs.
- Expands TDLR’s authority to investigate complaints and take enforcement action against tax professionals.
- Conforms administrative fee provisions in the Property Taxation Professional Certiﬁcation Act with similar provisions for TDLR’s other regulatory programs.