This agency is currently inactive. An agency can be labeled inactive if it has been abolished, had a title change, was merged into a different agency or split into different agencies. See Agency History on the right for further information.
Next Review Date: None
Last Review Cycle: 2010-2011 Review Cycle - 82nd Legislative Session
Final Results of Last Sunset Review
The Legislature created the Texas Board of Examiners in the Fitting and Dispensing of Hearing Aids in 1970 as an independent state agency to regulate individuals who measure human hearing for the purpose of selling devices for hearing loss treatment. In 1993, the Legislature discontinued the Board as an independent agency, changing its name to the State Committee of Examiners in the Fitting and Dispensing of Hearing Instruments (Committee) and administratively attaching it to the Department of State Health Services (DSHS). Today, the Committee regulates hearing instrument fitters and dispensers through licensing and enforcement as a means to protect Texas consumers and to maintain standards for the profession.
Senate Bill 663 continues the State Committee of Examiners in the Fitting and Dispensing of Hearing Instruments for six years and contains all of the Sunset Commission’s recommendations, including removing unnecessarily restrictive continuing education and residency requirements, and ensuring consistency and fairness in the Committee’s operations. A discussion of the bill’s major provisions follows.
- Continue the State Committee of Examiners in the Fitting and Dispensing of Hearing Instruments for six years.
- Make the Committee’s continuing education requirements less restrictive for both licensees and sponsors.
- Remove the Committee’s unnecessary residency restriction for out-of-state hearing instrument fitters and dispensers.
- Better ensure fairness and objectivity in the Committee’s examination practices.
- Conform key elements of the Committee’s licensing and regulatory functions to common licensing standards.
- Ensure consistency in the sale of hearing instruments.