- Next Review Date: 2020-2021 Review Cycle - 87th Legislative Session
- Last Review Date: 2008-2009 Review Cycle - 81st Legislative Session
Sunset Review Documents for 2008-2009 Review Cycle, 81st Legislative Session
- Summary of Results (Jul 2009)
- Final Report (Jul 2009)
- Report to the 81st Legislature Agency Section (Feb 2009)
- Self-Evaluation Report (Aug 2007)
- Senate Bill 1011 (Jun 2009)
Final Results from Last Sunset Report
The Legislature adopted elements of all of the Sunset Commission’s recommendations, scaling back the recommendation for more independent policy making by the Fire Commission and adding provisions to expand the pool of persons eligible to serve on the Commission. The bill continued the Commission as an independent agency for twelve years, and focused the agency more squarely on its mission to certify and regulate the paid ﬁre service to ensure the safety of the public and ﬁre service personnel. The list below summarizes the major provisions of Senate Bill 1011.
- Authorizes the Commission to decide and implement policy more independently of the Fire Fighter Advisory Committee.
- Repeals the Commission’s Fire Department Emergency Program and transfer the grants program to the Texas Forest Service, with volunteer and paid ﬁre departments to be eligible to apply for grants.
- Conforms key elements of the Commission’s certiﬁcation and regulatory functions to commonly applied licensing practices.
- Continues the Texas Commission on Fire Protection for 12 years, with an increased focus on preventing ﬁre ﬁghter injuries.
- Modifies Commission member eligibility criteria to keep pace with changes in local communities and the ﬁre service.
- Ensures unbiased appointment of persons to serve on the Fire Fighter Advisory Committee.
- Ensures state and federal entities coordinate when deploying ﬁre service resources during a disaster.