- Next Review Date: 2022-2023 Review Cycle - 88th Legislative Session
- Last Review Date: 2010-2011 Review Cycle - 82nd Legislative Session
Sunset Review Documents for 2010-2011 Review Cycle, 82nd Legislative Session
Limited Scope Review
- Summary of Results (Jul 2011)
- Final Report (Jul 2011)
- Report to the 82nd Legislature Agency Section (Feb 2011)
- Self-Evaluation Report (Aug 2007)
- Senate Bill 647 (Jun 2011)
Final Results from Last Sunset Report
The Office of Public Insurance Counsel (OPIC) represents the interests of consumers as a class in insurance matters. The Legislature created OPIC in 1991 as an independent agency to advocate for consumers in rate, form, and rule proceedings primarily at the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI). To accomplish its mission, OPIC reviews rate and policy form filings, and works with TDI and insurance companies to negotiate changes advantageous to consumers; participates in contested rate cases and industry-wide rate hearings; advocates on behalf of consumers in rulemaking procedures at TDI; and provides information to consumers regarding insurance coverage and markets.
The Legislature adopted all of the Sunset Commission’s recommendations, and Senate Bill 647 continues the Office for 12 years. A list of the bill’s provisions follows.
- Continue the Office of Public Insurance Counsel for 12 years.